In the world of health, there are always issues that cause a little bit of confusion. One of these issues will be discussed today. Fruit – do you eat it with the peel, or not?
As everyone knows, eating fruit is key to a good diet, but there are some things you should bear in mind with regard to how you eat it. Here at Sportize.me, we’d like to share some of the advantages and disadvantages of eating fruit with the skin on.
Advantages of eating fruit with the skin on
1. The fiber that many fruits contain is found mostly in the skin. Fiber is a very important nutritional component in the digestion process and in the absorption of nutrients.
2. Most of the vitamins are in the skin as well, so if you peel off the skin, you may lose many of the benefits that these micronutrients provide, although you won’t lose them completely, because vitamins are found in the pulp as well.
Disadvantage of eating fruit with the skin on
1. The pesticides used on fruit adhere to the skin of the fruit. Normally they are rigorously controlled to ensure that only minimal doses of these pesticides are used so that they will not be harmful to your health. However, there are always farms and farming techniques that go against this standard.
So, in sum, it is advisable to eat fruit with the skin on, as long as you take the following precautions:
1. Wash the fruit thoroughly. Don’t use detergent or soap, just cold water, and rub it with your hands.
2. With respect to fruit with non-edible skins or peels, precautions should be taken for these as well, especially when opening the fruit and cutting it into chunks, like watermelon. In these cases, wash your knife and the fruit itself thoroughly with water because both may have traces of bacteria.
3. If you have access to organic fruit, this is without a doubt the best option. Organic fruit is not treated with synthetic pesticides, fertilizers or additives so the fruit is of the best quality and retains all of its natural flavor and properties.
Achieve your fitness goals with the Sportize.me. Still don’t know what it’s all about? No problem. Register for FREE by clicking HERE and complete your initial interview, as shown in the image, entering your personal information, habits and preferences.
Then, our personal trainers will prepare your very own personalized workout plan. What are you waiting for? Achieve better health through fitness today!